[Wolves] Palm Clie SJ22 Link

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Mon Jul 19 22:01:24 BST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 20:27, Tim T Humpherson wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> Can anyone help with this problem?

I'll try

> I use a SuSE 9.1 Pro and am unable to link the Sony Clie SJ22 palm to the
> Linux OS.
>

> When I invoked the "USBView" from the menu, it came up with an error message
> as follows:
>

> ...Could not open the file  /proc/bus/usb/devices
>

> ...Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel, have the USB core
> modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem mounted.
>

> Well, as far as I know that the USB is working, as I tried to plug my
> digital camera into the USB and it detected as a Mass Storage Device.  I
> opened that folder and yeah, pictures comes up nicely.  That tells me that
> the USB is already compiled into the kernal (am I right?).  As for the core
> modules, I am not sure if these are already loaded or not.  How do I tell
> that these are loaded?  What's the command to show you that it's loaded?
> Finally, how do I mount this usbdevfs filesystem, and which USB can I mount
> it to?  I have no idea which USB port it uses, as there are four on the PC.
> How do I tell which USB Ive plugged in, like usb1, usb3 or what.
>

> Thanks a mil....
>

> Regards

> Tim

It sounds like most things are there, certainly they should be with a
stock SuSE 9.1 kernel. The fact the camera works suggests that
everything is there.  You will need to do some diagnostics in a shell to
go further.  So (assuming KDE) open up a konsole session and type "grep
usb /etc/fstab" (without the quotes and followed by the enter key), this
should display a line something like:
usbfs	/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	noauto 0 0

This is the line that mounts the usbdevfs when the system is started up.

It may well be that the Clie is not a registered device within the stock
kernel.  Unplug ALL usb devices, and type "/sbin/lsusb", this will list
all the USB root hubs on your system.  Now plug the clie in and issue
the command again.  You should now see an extra line which is the clie.
if everything is now working the clie should be accesible as
/dev/usb/ttyUSB0.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk