[Wolves] Squid and MSN and Digital Cameras :-)

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 10:13:12 BST 2004

> works, so I know the problem is with my squid setup.
> I have tried also Kopete and Gaim so also know its not
> a problem with my MSN client.
> My bf also runs squid and he can use MSN messenger
> fine, (the main reason I want to set it up so I can
> chat to him again!)
>
> Have any of you any ideas on how to enable this in my
> squid.conf?

Is Squid setup as a transparent proxy? Or not? This may affect how MSN
operates?

Have you configured windows to go through the proxy server? Have you
configured MSN to do the same? Assuming Squid is working, I see no
reason why it would block msn...

> Secondly
> Digital Cameras,
>
> I want to get one! I am looking on ebay and they have
> some great deals.
> I don't want to pay over the odds for one, not
> bothered about having the latest and greatest, just
> want something that can take a good picture!
>
> One that caught my eye on ebay is this one. But I know
> nothing about cameras, what features should I look
> for?

look for one that's around 3megapixels or less. There's no need for any
more.

We have a Nikon CoolPix which is really good (far better than a minolta
one we had previously). My suggestion is to go around the camera shops
(E.g. jessops etc) and see what they have to offer - try a few out etc.
You can get reasonable cameras for around about 100 quid new I think, or
less for ones with fewer bells and whistles.

For us it was important to have a camera which had a decent battery life
(old camera ate batteries so quickly we couldn't use the lcd screen on
the back) and could also take good photos in normal conditions (old
camera only took good photos in bright light :-( ). Finally, we also
wanted something a bit smaller....

Personally i think the camera whose details you posted was a bit overkill.

David.