[Wolves] e-mail server

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 06:53:47 BST 2004

> > 3. If yes to 1, then what is a decent, stable IMAP server that doesn't
> > need much playing with once its setup.
> >

> Exim is quite good, only bug I can see (which may not be Exim) is that

Exim is a MTA surely (like sendmail, postfix etc)?

> Imap  is fast from Windows clients but slow from Linux boxes - not quite
> sure where the hic-cup is with this.

This is probably because Windows clients are caching the IMAP server
data more than the Linux ones. E.g. compare evolution with mutt, and
you'll fidn evolution far quicker to open a mailbox as it has a local
copy of nearly all the messages and just has to fetch new ones....

> Oh 'Imap server', Exim of course being a mailserver, not sure quite what
> you mean by 'Imap server' , imap being handled by Imap which is a
> default on my redhat boxes - not quite sure if there are other flavours?

UW-IMAP - uses traditional mail box files (i.e. one large file contains
zillions of messages.). Simple to setup, although by default needs
configuring to NOT use your $HOME directory as the imap-mail dir.
Perforamnce can become a bit of a dog on a large mail boxes (e.g.
=WolvesLUG).

Cyrus - shared folder things, one message one file, faster? more
complex, supposidly hard to setup etc.

Courier - similar to cyrus. I use this and find it to be quite good.
probably not as hard to setup as cyrus, which i've never done.

David.