[Wolves] gfx cards

SimonB simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 13:04:19 BST 2004

Old Dan wrote:

> I doubt it's been released yet in the UK.
>
> Must be a pretty meaty machine your work has there - I didn't know there
> /were/ any PCI-X machines released yet (apart from the
> ultra-high-end-beyond-the-scope-of-NASA variety).
>
> /me /needs/ an upgrade!
>
> That's right, /needs/!  :)
>
> I wouldn't be too hard on your work for wanting that card - at least
> it's Linux-compatible - Linux is even listed on the spec sheet PDF you
> can download.

Figures,

Whats happended is that we bought highend desktops for 3D animators, bad
idea (they are used to at least 6Ghz of processing power and atleast 2Gb
RAM with maybe a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3000 as a compramise) so when we gave
then P4 2.6Ghz with 1Gb memory and bog standard qudaro's,, they soon
borke nd we need to find a decent workstation to replace them for the
region of £3-4k each.

We are considering building them ourselves to cut prices but what
management have speced so far aren't too good.