[Wolves] gfx cards

Simon Burke simonb at geek-web.co.uk
Thu Jun 17 21:35:21 BST 2004

sparkes wrote:

>The artist formally known as Peter Oliver was heard to say...
>

>>On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, SimonB wrote:
>>

>>>I'm just fed up of every ten mins being told taht their machine has
>>>blue-screened cuz they are pushing it too hard, bloody 3D animators
>>>

>>A box shouldn't crash because you're asking it to work hard.  That's
>>either a software bug or a hardware fault.
>>

>It's those loose nuts again ;-)
>
>out of interest what software are they running? and what os? I am pretty
>sure MS is currently considered a dead end for high end animation.  Linux
>and unix are best with a dual G5 with a couple of gig ram considered a low
>end workstation.  I might be wrong of course, maya must be selling on xp
>but there is a reason they quickly ported to linux ;-)
>
>sparkes

At the momment they are 2.4Ghz P4 w/ 1Gb memory, but we have seriously
had  a quadro burn out on us and we have had HDD failures on all the
machines (38Gb SCSI HDD's),  and now we have a dodgy stick of memory
which causes a bluescreen several times a day. They all run XP, of
course heh. They wont use linux as the management like to pay a lot for
things (simular words used to say same thing "get what you pay for kinda
thing").

Maya will run on our macs but the one mouse button doesnt suit the
interfaces on the 3d and animation programs.