[Wolves] Digital Radio

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Thu Jun 24 11:02:48 BST 2004

The artist formally known as TriG was heard to say...

> My dad works for the TV Licensing Agency, and is responsable for taking
> people to court who fail to pay the TV licence. From what he tells/told
> me, they do know what kind of TV you have. For instance, if you go to
> Tesco and buy a TV (they are cheap) you cannot purchase one without
> having a ClubCard. Why? Because every TV sale, made through a retail
> shop, etc has to pass your details onto said agency. I had my random
> rant at the time I purchased a Tele from Tesco about it, and found out
> that if I didn't submit my details I cannot buy the tele and the manager
> told me.. ITS THE LAW..

Not entirely sure this is the case.  I don't give my address and details
out whenever I buy equipment like this.  It is more likely the manager has
been told to sign up as many people as possible to club cards for tescos
own purposes.

I brought a tv at asda a couple of years ago with cash and didn't give my
address.

If the law has changed I doubt it is to do with the tv licencing when
money laudering, and VAT fraud are much bigger crimes where keeping track
of large cash purchases are more important.

> So the details are passed onto them, and they know what TV you have,
> they also have a huge computer which lists every house in the UK that is
> registered (to what degree I dont know) and has a list of what TV
> equipment you have..

I presume that sky and telewest have to tell the licencing people which
householders have equipment as these are probably tv recieving devices
under the new words of the law.  It the old days you could make your tv
physically unable to recieve BBC 1 and 2 to get out of paying but these
days you can't
as it's nothing to do with getting certain channels in the UHF frequencies
but to do with the ability to recieve any channels broadcast in britain.

> If its listed that you dont have one, they make a
> tally in the area and see if its wise to send 'the van round' in the
> first case, a van does not come round, you have a normal blokey in a
> car, that has a hand held detector which scans for signals.. Even if you
> TV is off, it can still recieve a signal.. If they find that you have
> one, they send the man in the van, and if they turn up on your door,
> your screwed.. The only way to get away with it, is if the TV has a
> broken tube, physcially smashed, not picture can be seen.. sound is ok..
> You'd  be surprised how many have tried to get away with it.. Some of
> the stories he tells me are really funny...
>
> Way off topic I know, but I thought I would share it with you...
>
> Big brother is watching, read 1984

nah for the next few weeks big brother is watching... big brother.

> triG

sparkes