[Wolves] Digital Radio (OFFTOPIC TV detectors)

Neil Woolford NW at neilwoolford.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 12:04:26 BST 2004

>Does standby keep the crt warm and would that emit rf radiation that could
>be detected? Or does it still decode the signal just keeping the tube dark
>which might be detectable.

>I remember hearing that they could actually detect what channel you were
>watching so I suspect some sort of van Eck phreaking
>(http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,289893,sid9_gci550525,00.html) is
>used but that should only get TVs that are on.
>

>chris

My distant days as a trainee Radio and TV Mechanic (that's the City and
Guilds' description of the course) come in handy here!

Basically, all practical modern (since about 1940) analogue receivers have
what is known as a 'local oscillator' which produces a steady radio
frequency signal (a 'tone' if you like).  The frequency of this tone is
related to the frequency of the broadcast the apparatus is tuned to.  This
locally generated signal, and certain harmonics and beat products from the
interaction between it and the received signal, is indeed detectable in the
manner of van Eck phreaking.  And yes, the fundamental frequency of the
signals indicates which channel the set is tuned to.  Unplugged and fully
powered down is *not* detectable, as there is then no local signal.

I had a tour of a detector van in the very early 70s and one of the antenna
systems was directional enough to allow location of a set to within a
couple of yards if they took two or three shots at it.  (RDF or goniometry
are the terms for this technology I think.)  However, most of the work is
actually done by parsing the databases and footslogging from door to
door.  (My late mother's house accumulated a lot of mail from them in the
year after she died, and I have had a man come to the door to enquire why I
had no licence.  [Because I don't have a TV should anyone be interested...])

Neil