[Wolves] Monitor 'gotcha' when setting up

Mark Ellse mark.ellse at physics.org
Tue Mar 9 11:57:15 GMT 2004

There is a regular 'gotcha' that aflicts our linux setups from time to
time. When the package wrongly detects the refresh rate of the monitor,
Linux can start up with too high a refresh rate, and hence no screen
display. And then you can be really stuck. You either have to reinstall
from scratch or substitute a better monitor - and neither is very
convenient.

The latest SUSE does, at least, have a safe mode, but if you try to
reconfigure your graphics using YAST or SaX2 it takes you into a screen
with too high a refresh rate for the monitor to disply.

But I can't find a safe mode on RedHat or Fedora.

It would be churlish to comment that Windows addressed this problem
around version 3.1.

Anyone know a workaround?

Cheers,

Mark