[Wolves] php/mysql wizzards please - sparkes?

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Fri Mar 12 20:18:20 GMT 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 19:21, sparkes wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 18:18, Wayne Morris wrote:
> > Anyone tell me what I should be doing?
>
> not reducing the normalisation on a working database ;-)
>
> If you are not experiencing problems with the app I would leave this
> alone as it stops people buggering up the database with mispelt
> counties.

I agree.

Since the dataset of counties has been fixed since 1976 (IIRC) leave well
alone.   You are also keeping the DB smaller (and faster) as a county name
can be 15-20 chars whereas the reference number should only be 2 digits.

As a general question, this might give a clue as to why you are failing.  What
is the type of the phonelist.county column? if is is an int, it cannot hold a
(var)char string, so your update query will fail.

> > Cheers.
> >
> > Wayne Morris
> > XXXXX XXXXXX

PS Is putting your mobile number into a web-archived email a good idea? or
just a way of attracting SMS-spam?

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk