[Wolves] Recording vinyl

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Sun Mar 14 16:49:46 GMT 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 13:30, Rob Annable wrote:

> Thanks, I'll start saving for a shoestring/cable.  Will I still get good
> results if I go straight from the turntable to my laptop? Should I come in
> via an amp first?
>
> Rob

Depends on the type of cartridge fitted to the turntable, sound card noise
levels, etc.  a basic ceramic cartidge should work without an amp as the
signal level is about 100mV and is equalised to the RIAA[1] curve.  A decent
quality magnetic cart only has an output of about 5mV and requires external
equalisiation.

Using an amp can help minimise the effects of noise from the sound card as
well (by boosting the signal) so is generally a Good Thing.

[1] This was when the RIAA was doing usefull things like setting standards.

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk
ron at wellsted.org.uk