[Wolves] Cygwin/X

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 13:22:39 GMT 2004

I use a similar setup between my work windows box and a linux machine a
couple of rooms away.

It should all work, however speed depends on your bandwidth I find it
acceptable enough, you don't want to play Quake over it do you?

When I lived in Ipswich I used to use X on windows to log into a box in
London and it was sloow but workable, I did end up having to learn the emacs
keybindings because opening menus could take an age. This may have had more
to do with with the lan I was on though.

The apps will look like whatever window manager you are using with cygwin in
the same way they would if you used two linux boxes, if you want them to
look like native window apps you need a windowmanager that looks like
windows. Or you could use Xfce/Windowmaker/Afterstep etc and confuse your
co-workers with weird (for windows) screen decorations, docks and virtual
desktops that only effect some apps (the X based ones)

I seem to remember that cygwin/X took a bit of messing around with startup
scripts to get it to work, I think it was a path issue but it was ages ago
and I havn't thought about it since I got it working.

Dan:
ssh -X does indeed do X tunnelling so you in fact look like a guru!

chris