[Wolves] West Midlands Open Source support

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 10:33:18 GMT 2004

Peter Cannon wrote:

> I thought University's were for teaching not competitive business
> ventures?

Universities are increasingly trying to financially exploit their
expertise. As long as the government pursues its ridiculous aim of
getting 50% of all young people into higher ed, the institutions will
have to find as many different ways of raising money, as they can. Not
that I think it's a bad thing for unis to bring in extra money.

Teaching is a loss maker for many universities. The old polytechnics get
their money from direct services to business and the more established
universities get involved in more traditional research, still for business.

> Better to give 4 million to the small business enterprise via the
> Chamber of commerce,

Oof. The Chamber of Commerce? There's a sure way to waste £4 million!
I've had one too many conversations with Chamber types, charged with
spreading knowledge of e-commerce, whose only talent appears to be the
regurgitation of cliche.

I reserve judgement on Open Advantage; it'll be interesting to see how
they do. I'm not sure, tho', what the difference is, in principle,
between them and the Chamber. They're both private organisations running
around with public money.

> that way there will be more job opportunities in
> the market place rather than an organisation with an unfair financial
> advantage of Government backing.

Either that or there'll be another Chamber employee with a ridiculous
job title - E-Black E-Country E-Envoy for E-Funding - going around,
arbitarily giving our grants!
--

Cheers,

Matthew Revell.