[Wolves] Preferences in Mozilla

David Goodwin david at openminds.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 13:34:21 GMT 2004

Kat Goodwin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem which someone may or may not be able to help me with.
> The scenario is:
>
> We have a WAN of computers running a slightly tinkered with debian
> distribution:
>  - They use a package server that we run to keep things up to date.
>  - I've just set up a mail server and webmail, and now they need to be
> able to run this.
>  - They all have mozilla installed but many people will not have run it.
>
> We need to be able to:
>  - set a default homepage for everyone
>  - set the mime types so that they cannot directly open openoffice documents

for u in /home/*
do
	echo "User : $u ?? "
	if [ -d /home/$u/.mozilla ]
	then
		// one user can have multiple profiles I believe...
		for f in /home/$u/.mozilla/default/*
		do
			echo "Profile found for user $u : $f"
			cd $HOME/.mozilla/default/$f
			// awk weirdness to change prefs.js
			// (or perhaps Perl which could
			// match the lines better)?

			// edit mimeTypes.rdf to remove entries for OO ?

		done
	fi
done

Of course, once you've changed everything, there's nothing to stop the
users from changing it back....

You might also want to look at $MOZILLA_HOME/defaults/profile and
$MOZILLA_HOME/defaults/prefs and $MOZILLA_HOME/init.d/README.txt

The last one you could use to force a users homepage back to what you
want after they've finished browsing.

$MOZILLA_HOME is probably something like /usr/lib/mozilla but not
necessarily.

David.