[Wolves] SQL problem

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 11:30:37 GMT 2004

> In that case, then the problem is simply that there are both
> english and welsh users and they both input in their own language, but we
> need the ability of say the english to access the welsh data but read it
in
> english, and vice versa

So you want to input data in welsh and read it in English and vice versa?

If its single words I guess you could have a translation table:
wordid	english_word	welsh_word

and then a data table:
stuff		morestuff	wordid
===============================

INNER JOIN them ON wordid and SELECT either english_word or welsh_word as
needed.

When they enter the word you will need to look it up in the translation
table and write its wordid into the data table rather then the word entered.

It'll only work for a limited set of words (those you have in the
translation table) though. If you want them to be able to use free text then
you either need a very big word list or translate on the fly, in which case
I will refer you to babelfish, wish you good luck and bow out.

chris

p.s. why do SQL keywords only look right in caps? Its the same with FORTRAN
code. Maybe its just me.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.