[Wolves] Suse

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 18 12:05:11 GMT 2004

Oki kokey young fella me lad

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 11:44, Adam Sweet wrote:
>  --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
> wrote: > Morning Adam
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, yes I am back less a couple of
> > pounds of body
> > tissue now lying on the operating room floor being
> > prodded with a stick
> > by a terrified student nurse!
>
> Insert here any joke pertaining to leaving bodily
> deposits with student nurses, as it's all good :)
Erm I do have a joke I like but its a bit long and you need to think
about it to get the punch line.

> <snip>
> All the symlinks stuff looks reasonable to me as thats
> pretty much what I would do, in fact I was doing the
> java plugin only the other day, though the symlink
> worked it stopped Moz starting for some reason so I
> removed it for the time being. In this case foloow
> David's instructions are they are far more detailed
> than anything I would say.
Now theres a thing I tried something silly, I copied the file and pasted
into the plugin folder (Trying a Windows type short cut approach) and
Mozilla stopped working, so I deleted it and everything was fine.

> > There is a file icon which has a large orange
> > question mark in the
> > middle with a little padlock on the left hand side
> > and a black sym link
> > arrow if I open the file it has nothing in it.
>
> The padlock thing implies that the file is only
> readable by root, which is why it isn't there as root,
> I can only assume thats the reason for the question
> mark too, as if you can't read a file, you can't
> determine it's nature. This may be part of your
> symlink problem too. I'm pretty crap at permissions,
> but as a normal user do ls -l in the directory to view
> the permissions and see if others have any rights at
> all.
Yeah I just tumbled that one when I browsed as a superuser (What a twat)

> Permissions follow the following structure.
>
> s rwx rwx rwx
>
> where s is the special attribute for stuff like suid,
> gid, symlink, directory etc and each rwx triplet
> stands for read write and execute. The first 3 for
> owner, the 2nd for members of the same group and the
> third for others. Any of the above that have a -
> symbol means that permission is not available ie:
> lrwxr----- means it's a symlink and root has all
> permissions, members of the root group have read
> permissions and others have not permissions. If the
> file is owned by root then normal users permissions
> will be for 'others'.
>
> You probably know this but I thought I'd drop it in in
> case you didn't and for any total beginners
> listening.]
>
> Anyway, don't listen to me, listen to David :)
No No I'll always listen to you coz since you started corresponding with
me I am no longer Billy no mates! Ha Ha

> Ad
>
> =====

Regards