[Wolves] Sun and Solaris - worth a go??

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Fri Mar 19 13:02:10 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 08:47, Matthew Revell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about sticking Solaris on one of my spare Athlon machines
> and perhaps running it as a combined file server, for my own network,
> and web server. Worth a go?
I run debian on a Sparc box so that should tell you all you need to know
;-)

> Also, I'm thinking about buying one of Sun boxes that go for around 40
> quid, on eBay. Sparkes, you've got one of these, haven't you? Any
> pros/cons you can think of?
I haven't exactly got a £40 box ;-) I have an Ultra 10 440 (2meg cache)
with 1/2 gig proper ecc memory it looks like these are a couple of
hundred quid still
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3084053188&category=1486

and a lot more if you want the 18" lcd display ;-) the PCi card (a pc on
a pci device bugger all use in linux) and the best 3d card out of the
range ;-)

sparkes