[Wolves] Window managers

Aquarius aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org
Wed Mar 24 18:04:24 GMT 2004

fizzy spoo'd forth:
> --- Aquarius <aquarius-lists at kryogenix.org> wrote:
>> # apt-get remove xlibs
>> (removes all X applications)
>> # apt-get install blackbox
>> # installs window manager, pulls in X as a
>> dependency
>
> Sounds good, but what I was worried about is will this
> loose my xconfig? The libretto was evil to get working
> with X, and this laptop has a weird screen as well, so
> I'd rather not have to configure it, esp when knoppix
> configured it so very well for me :)

It shouldn't do, because you didn't do apt-get --purge remove ...

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config ~/XF86Config.backup should help :)
You might want to copy XF86Config-4 as well...?

> Oh, and if I apt-get install ksamegame will it install
> KDE or just KDE libs, as I'd rather not have KDE if I
> can help it...

Then don't install ksamegame? Or is the point that you want the kdelibs
and not KDE? Not sure you can do that...

>> Once when I was bored I did a very basic Debian
>> install (just the base
>> console system) and then did "apt-get install
>> gnome-stones", just to
>> watch it pull in all of X and Gnome as dependencies.
>> Worked, too. I
>> love Debian. :-)
>
> Can I remove other large blocks of packages easily? At
> the moment I'm using some funky knoppix program to
> remove them package by package, but it's taking a long
> time!

Um, find something they all depend on. You can remove all python
packages by removing python, for example...

Aq.

--
"Willow hath gat hare off rede
 And doth geev soopurb heede.