[Wolves] 64/32bit

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Mon Mar 29 18:53:08 BST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Simon Burke wrote:
> True, mind it would be a lot faster than anything a have as its the dual
> 2Ghz G5 mac, so its a wee bit quick. I'm not sure just how much is 64bit
> myself. I'd like to hope that most of osx is but as its based on freeBSD 5
> so I just don¹t know.
If it uses a different kernel from the 32bit machines then it does have a
64bit kernel (bsd is mature on several 64 bit platforms) but if it doesn't
then none of it is (probably)

I quite fancy a dual processor Mac as my next machine, but it would be
running debian ;-) and maybe osX on a seperate partition just to say I can
use it.   But I'd have to earn some money first ;-)

> I know the machine can handle 64bit apps but I have
> never found the need to, unless all of a sudden M$office, mozilla and Adobe
> Creative Suite have suddenly gone 64bit?? heh

again I very much doubt it.  They would need to contain two versions of
the software on the media and do twice the maintance on the code doubling
the post sale cost.  Not a move that MS or Abobe are about to make.

Moz is a little different if osX is 64 bit where available there would the
the possibility of a 64bit build of the mozilla software

sparkes