[Wolves] BBC

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Wed Mar 31 17:16:14 BST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Peter Cannon wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 15:02, Simon Burke wrote:
> > On 31/3/04 1:30 pm, "Old Dan" <dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org> wrote:
> >

> > > Actually all I was saying was that you should take out the bits which
> > > aren't needed, like (for instance) the bit at the bottom put there by
> > > mailman.  I wasn't directly referring to content - notice I've kept all
> > > the content I feel is relevant in /this/ reply.  It isn't the first time
> > > I've mentioned this either.
> > >
> > Well, I'm sorry to say but I'm gonna voice my opinion, while im waiting for
> > a render. I'm getting bored and annoyed of all this trimming business. I
> > understand why people are saying it and I agree with some of it. But for the
> > past couple of days its been nothing but posts about trimming, and this isnt
> > the first time.
> > I'm not b*tching at anyone in particular, I jusr flet the need to intervene.
>
> Thank god you did intervene at least you semi feel the same as me.
>
> > Everyone does things differently Well done glad to see some sense and that ow I see it, infact I just have
> > one e-mail account Lug stuff another for personal another to send junkmail
> > to when signing up for things and the list goes on. The LUG one is just an
> > inbox no folders, so I can follow it easily, and esp as I have over 700Mb
> > storage, I delete everything at least 3weeks old.
>
> Exactly what I was saying, if I understand this threading lark right the
> idea is to keep all the mails so that you can look back/trawl through
> them as some sort of database. I looked at Kmail last night which I take
> the view is specific to threaded mail judging by all the threaded mail
> options, I don't use Kmail, I presume the reason people want mail
> trimming is to keep the space used to a minimum? Thats easy to achieve,
> delete the mail, you don't need it!
> >
> > Anyway this is a LUG not a trimming mailing list, to quote someone from last
> > time we had a discussion like this, and this is most true.
> > >
> > > Well that's up to you.  It does mean that you're going to annoy
> > > people(not just me) if you continue in this way.
> >
> > Sorry to say that but I felt it needed to be said, and I am open to your
> > wrath, but plz I know its annoying but lets not be so pedantic about it.
> > Lets just work it out once and for all, and maybe just send out a welcome
> > e-mail with rules to new members, and end this madness
>
> I haven't cut this down so people can see what is being said and the
> reason it is being said.

> Regards
>
> Peter Cannon
>
> peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk

and I am replying like this because I can and if we all do it eventully
people will start respecting common netticate.

We can collect good links on usenet posting methods and add them to the
lug home page so this crap can stop.  If the method of quoted used in this
list (including heavy trimming) is not to peoples taste then they can lump
it.

Just because we have broadband does not mean we have to use it to download
ten tons of crap with every message (like this one)

Usenet messages die after a short while and the older message is not
sometimes available but usenet groups still apply heavy trimming to
messages because the practise makes it easier to read, quote, read, quote
etc ad infinium the relevent parts of a discussion.   If you are replying
to one point, cut the crap, if you are replying to a message as a whole
trim the message so people don't have to download it two or three times.

Dan has already pointed out that email clients support threaded debates
but this isn't necasary to enjoy the converstion in this group.  We have a
threaded store of messages at lug.org.uk that anyone can use to catch up
with the thread if they get lost.

If people continue to post massive dirges of email in reply to other
massive quotes, including self contradulating masterbatory I agree emails
when none is required I will start to kill file people.

This aggressive approach is not one I would normally take on a list where
the shared knowledge and agreed focus is as good as this one but it is
necesary to save my sanity sometimes.

If everyone takes this approach pretty soon the list would be useless to
newbies cos all the old timers wouldn't be able to hear them.  note I
resisted an inner circle joke here ;-) Peter it's not just you ;-)

ok, rant over back to work everybody.

Oh and the first person to quote this entire fecking message back to me
with I agree/disagree or words to that effect will earn a kick up the
backside in the standard ;-)

sparkes