[Wolves] off topic- Mac software and OS9

Chris Procter Chris at foxonline.co.uk
Thu May 6 09:19:44 BST 2004

Dont bet on OS9 meaning Mac. There is also an embedded OS called OS9 which
lead to some mutterings of legal action when Apple released their OS9 due to
the confusion it might cause, which is why Apples OS9 is properly called
MacOS9

A quick googling came up with
http://www.radisys.com/oem_products/os_software.cfm

As far as I know although apple were/are big in printing their OS was never
licensed to anything other then pc manufactureres, so if its a printing
machine rather then a pc my money is on it being OS9 rather then MacOS9.

chris

> I've noticed a few people in here talk about Macs and OS9 operating
> system, does anyone know anything about this question?
>
> I have a 1990's printing machine to repair and it has a
> bespoke computer
> operating system which is based on 0S9 which runs its functions - as a
> user you can't even get to a command line, its all menu driven.
>
> The operating system is held on a 1Mb ram card, but there is a 3.5"
> floppy which can be used for booting from (early models had
> op system on
> one floppy), and later variants had a hard drive
>
> The problem is that although the program is functional, the
> service and
> superviser levels have been password protected and the password lost,
> and the manufacturer wants a lot of money for a new copy of
> the software
> to install over the top.
>
> So, if OS9=Mac , is there a Mac 'rescue disk' that I could run on this
> system to read the ram card and then hopefully find the
> password file on
> the ram disk and edit it?
>
> Cheers
>
> Wayne

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual
and not necessarily those of Fox Online.
This email and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations) subsequently transmitted
from Fox Online, are confidential and solely for the use
of the intended recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify Fox Online by
telephone on +44 (0)121 693 1424.