[Wolves] Re: New toys

sparkes sparkes at phreaker.net
Thu May 6 13:48:22 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 13:20, Peter Cannon wrote:
> How are you doing with the software and server I gave you?

I still haven't managed to get SCO up and running on the olde worlde DEC
but I am having another play next week

The alpha is brilliant and is running debian as sweet as possible.  It
installed first time with no bother.  Unfortunatly there is some issue
with the X drivers and it crashes when I use X on it for more than a
couple of mins.  I am going to spend some time on this next week as
well.  The machine is ace though, I am really impressed with the alpha
processor (as I am with the Ultrasparc and G3) risc processors certainly
out perform intel stuff by about 2 - 1 when you use processor speed as a
judge of performance (which I don't ;-) )

> Do you remember the bust up we had over snipping/mail format and netiquette?
> Well I bow to your superior knowledge,

;-) it happens to everyone.

<snip bit about kde>

> Not sure who it was that is the 'apt-get' king in the group but I have also
> managed to finally get that and synaptic installed, looks very nice although
> I still seem to get the weird problem of stuff not being recognised for
> example I installed open Office ages back and use it allot but synaptic
> (apt-get) says its not installed the same goes for Mozilla but it is loaded.

if you have installed them using rpm then I am not sure how apt for rpm
based systems discovers what is installed when you install it.  Distros
that use .deb packages track every package from the first install that's
why they know exactly what you have got installed.

The choices are remove them and reinstall with apt, or keep them as they
are and not bother them until you need to upgrade.  Then remove manually
and install with apt.

> All I need to do is learn how to use it now!

it's one of the easiest things you will ever learn and it will allow you
to experiement with new packages with no fear.

> I know its not strictly the subject but they are both new toys to me.

topic drift isn't a problem here it's a way of life ;-)

> Oh by the way I'm thinking of getting a Logitech Webcam Laptop pro (supposedly
> supported under Linux going to cost me around £40.00 any thoughts?

Jono, what cam did you recently buy?

> Sorry to send this direct but I have just found out that all the lug's I am a
> member of are rejecting me so I must have a wrong setting somewhere could you
> do me a favour and forward this to the list.

no probs

sparkes