[Wolves] Wolves LUG WiFi

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Fri May 14 19:49:31 BST 2004

Jono Bacon wrote:

> Much as I am all in favour of creativity, and much as you are both
> welkcome to go and ahead and set it up anyway, I don't want to go to a
> LUG meeting and go on the Internet. I spend 80% of my life in front in
> front of the Internet already and a LUG meet is so we can meet, eat,
> drink, be social and have a laugh, not to sit like spods in front up a
> computer all night.

Who mentioned anything about internet access at a LUG meeting? :) Or
have I missed something?

I think this would be cool for no other reason than it is possible. Most
of us must have started with Linux just because it was something to do,
an alternative to interest us. Why does Sparkes run an Alpha and a Sparc
machine? Because he can :)

Also, there are interesting issues around subverting corporate control
of communication and claiming back the radiomagnetic spectrum, which is
free yet dominated by big business. It'd be so cool to send Sparkes an
email but for it to go via wifi to Rob's house, then Ron's, and finally
to Sparkes, rather than whizzing its way round the Telewest network,
then to some interconnect in London, then onto the BT network, to
finally arrive at Sparkes' place. It's free, it's a challenge and it's
just cool :)