[Wolves] Mandrake .0?

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Mon May 17 10:40:56 BST 2004

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote: > Hi Smid ?

> On Friday 14 May 2004 18:14, smid wrote:
> > Anyone use Mandrake out there?
> >
> > I'm currently using 9.1 and 10.0, and I swore the
> last 8.0 and 9.0 that
> > I wouldnt touch the .0s of
> > them again. 10.0 will not work with my usb mouse,
> or my usb hard drive
> > on my laptop and the
> > ftp server is borked too... Does anyone else have
> this problem, or is
> > Debian the distro of choice
> > nowadays (apart from Knoppix :)
> >
> >     Smid
>
> I did have MDK 9.0 installed on my main machine I
> didn't have any problems
> with hardware and was very impressed with the user
> friendliness of the OS
> especially for newbies.
>
> I have noticed lots of problem postings on the net
> from versions 9.1 to the
> current release but as I no longer use MDK
> (Mandrake) I cant give you any
> further input.

I'll do my usual Mandrake rant here. Mandrake is great
to get a feel for Linux, but as your skills develop
you'll soon outgrow it. I used it for about 2 years
and eventually became so frustrated by little niggly
issues I moved to Debian. As I said, Mandrake is great
for starting out, but there are so many little
problems it will do your head in in the end. I haven't
used 10.0 but I'm guessing it's the same. I think it
was LUG Radio 5 where Sparkes said Mandrake 10.0 was
due out the next day which meant it was ok for him to
slag it off without everyone saying it was only a
beta.

Sorry to have no practical advice, but at least you
get the drift.

Ad

=====
--