[Wolves] Episode 8 LugRadio and the elections

Matthew Revell wolveslug at understated.co.uk
Mon May 31 15:25:07 BST 2004

Howdy Tom,

Tom Edwards wrote:

> However unfortunatley MEP Lib Dems did vote for Software Patents in
> the European Parliament following the advice of the Liberal Leader in
> the European Parliament,

Ah, listen to the LugRadio election special, out next week, for more on
this :)

> If you were planning a sort of election special on this from a Linux
> perspective for Lug Radio then you might want to speak to the Liberal
> Democrat MP Richard Allan, www.richardallan.org.uk,

Thanks for the suggestion but I actually already interviewed him, last
week. Seems like a good bloke. I raised the issue you mention above and
he reckoned that no one had voted for software patents, just that some
people had voted for their wider application.

>  It's one of the reasons that I love Lug Radio so much, that is how I
> wanted it to be

Ah cool, cheers. That's what we wanted it to be.

> Opinion 2: There do seem to be people who post more than others, and
> it's difficult sometimes to have the confidence to voice an opinion or
> silly comment without knowing the people involved,

There are a few people here who post more than others. There's around 80
people subscribed to the list but only twenty or so who regularly show
up in postings. Genuinely, everyone is welcome. However, people who want
to turn this into a dry, Linux only mailing list, will have great
difficulty.

> in fact sometimes I think my flat hair makes me part of the furniture.

Flat hair?

> Yet every time I have got involved no-one has humiliated me, or
> anything like that, I don't really know why I don't do it more.

No one will humilate you, mate :) Occassionally, someone might be having
a bad day and will misread something and snap or whatever, but that's
their problem. Just sod them (not literally).

> So congratulations to "Inner Circle" for what appears to be a very
> healthy and innovative LUG.

:-D There genuinely is no inner circle. There are some people who have
made an effort to get involved in LUG activities and so know each other
better, but other than that, everyone is equally as welcome etc etc etc.

> Have lots of fun

Or in the words of SuSe, "Have a lot of fun".