[Wolves] G-Mail

Jon Farmer jonfarmer at enta.net
Tue Nov 2 09:04:34 GMT 2004

Tim Humpherson wrote:
> Yes, but you should NEVER use the GMail for any sensitive e-mails,
> such as e-commerce, personal details, and above all, NEVER use GMail
> to send your bank details, account numbers or PIN numbers or anything
> like that that could be of use to an identity thief!
>
> Use your own ISP's e-mail for normal personal e-mail, but NEVER use
> bank details, and the like over that one too.

I would never use *ANY* email account to send personal data like that
with out encrypting it. I think advice like that could lull people into
a false sense of security.

> If in doubt, always e-commerce over SECURE https:// websites whose
> certificates are valid and authentic.

https:// only secures traffic from the client to the server and back
again. What happens to your precious credit card number after that is up
to the dumb ass web designer.

--
Jon Farmer
Systems Programmer