[Wolves] Ubuntu trials

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 09:32:42 GMT 2004

 --- Kevanf1 <kevanf1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmmmm, a hardware database of stuff that works under
> Linux.  Deja vu
> me thinks :-)))
>
> The big problem is that, as with all hardware, wi-fi
> gear is built for
> use with Microsoft software in mind.  I have started
> to contact
> manufacturers asking whether there stuff works with
> Linux.  If it
> doesn't I mail them back telling them I will go
> elsewhere.  Perhaps if
> more people did that the manufacturers would create
> hardware neutral
> equipment.

Hi

The problem is even if we do that, individually we
don't have the clout. It would be better reporting to
the likes of SUSE, Mandrake and so on. By reporting
hardware that work/don't work so they can add to their
databases we can help the majority rather than just
the lug. If every lug did this the databases would be
a good resource.

The other side of the coin is that we should also tell
the manufacturers that supply Linux compatible
hardware that we have purchased their products,
otherwise they may think there is no demand.

Mo