[Wolves] OT: text message software/hardware

Rob Annable rob.annable at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:18:58 GMT 2004

I'm proposing to examine the use of text messaging for some resident
consultation across about 2000 houses on an estate in Stoke. I'm
interested in both the ability to receive messages from the residents
and possibly as a way of announcing news as a mail/text shot.

Anybody have any advice about software or hardware that could be used
for this? I don't really want to have to man a pay as you go phone if
all 2000 households decide to text me at once...

We're also looking at setting up some community IT initiatives so it
could be a good chance for some open source promotion. We're not sure
about current internet usage which is why we'd like to look at text
messaging; odds are that the mobile phone ownership is much higher
than computers.

Ideas on a postcard to the usual address...

Rob
--
http://rob.annable.co.uk