[Wolves] Free training courses with OpenAdvantage

kev adams kev at magicmoon.co.uk
Mon Nov 15 18:20:41 GMT 2004

On Monday 15 Nov 2004 17:49, Tim Humpherson wrote:
> Kev Adams,
>
> I didn't know that you are hard of hearing yourself.  I'm profoundly
> deaf myself and do get frustrated that I am unable to follow the LUG
> members's conversations which can be fast and can't see who's talking
> to who, etc.  Jono was very kind and he knows of my problem and
> sometimes writes things down for me.  Not all the discussions, just
> some questions I put it to him, etc.  Nowadays, I think the best
> method for me is to put any questions on this LUG group email for all
> to answer.

Hi Tim

yes I'm quite hard of hearing & have difficulty in group situations.  I can't
imagine what it must be like to be profoundly deaf though.  Do you lip read
or can you just about get by with hearing aids in a one to one conversation?
I had trouble hearing most of the general group conversation at the meeting I
went to & mostly spoke with people either side of me - thankyou by the way -
very friendly & helpful group.  For anyone that's not aware of the problems
it's to do with the redundancy in speech.  If you have any hearing loss you
tend to have to try & piece a conversation together from the bits that you
can still make out.  It gets easier when you're face to face as you might
hear more & can get other visual cues too.  Since my last meeting I've had
digital hearing aids so that will probably work a lot better :~)  We have a 6
week old baby boy as well though now so it might be sometime until I can make
it down.  In the meantime the list is great though!

Do you sign at all Tim?  I don't yet but intend to start learning - finger
alphabet first.

cheers
kev