[Wolves] spam, spam, spam and wiki

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:03:08 GMT 2004

On 18 November 2004 08:54 Rob wrote:

> We've been getting a lot of spam on the LUG wiki lately, some of which
> has been completely wiping out whole pages. I've reconstructed them
> but it's a pain and if left to too many edits we'd lose stuff.

There has been a big rise in "comment spam" in the last year. The Wiki for the Belfast Perl Conference was destroyed after an significantly horrendous onslaught.

OpenGuides (which is based on CGI::Wiki) and Kwiki are looking for at using IP blacklists. Steve Pitchford from Birmingham.pm is hoping have the Birmingham OpenGuides back up and running before Christmas, so we can perhaps offer some help with adding a suitable plugin to help out.

The password solution will certainly work, but have you tried blocking edits without a preference setting? Some of the robots are just looking for wiki pages and not going to the bother of setting preferences.

Barbie.