[Wolves] Monitor Upgrade

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 22:31:45 GMT 2004

Mo Awkati wrote:

> --- Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> <>Hi Mo,
>>
>> ... I think it's just a case of your
>> distro of choice being able to get the above info
>> from your monitor, or having a database of known monitor
>> specs from which you identify your monitor and it
>> uses the associated spec from the database.
>>
>> If I'm wrong someone will point it out, but thats my
>> understanding. In a worst case most distros with
>> hardware autodetection will default to some sensible
>> and safe settings that should be usable on most
>> monitors, even if they doesn't look great.
>
>Hi Ad
>
>Thats a good thought about the refresh rates. It just
>shows I still suffer sometimes from the MS virus!
>Thanks for the links. I did look at the Viewsonic's
>website before I posted, but not the others, so I'll
>go and do some detecting!
>

>Cheers
>
>Mo

... if you are lazy like me, buying a monitor that is in the list of
names your distro offers makes life easier! You can hot-key between
available resolutions if it's a good  definition. I've found that some
of the data sheets that come with cheap monitors are not the easiest
things in the world to interpret.

Woo