[Wolves] OT: Maths problem

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Tue Nov 23 09:33:16 GMT 2004

 --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
> I finished my mathmatical education in a
> physics department,
> where the units are more important than the numbers.
> Noone expects
> better than an order of magnitude accuracy but it is
> important  to know
> what unit you are being innacurate in.

Me too (Astrophysics degree) but I was always a lot
better at the non-physics courses (maths, programming
etc)

> >I'm concerned about how much maths I remember since
> >leaving uni in 96
>
> Too much or too little?

Not TOO much but far more then someone who hasn't
differentiated in anger for 8 years should remember

> My first job was in a college of higher education.
> One of the computer science lecturers was a
chemistry
> graduate who had gone straight into computing. 20
> years after graduating the college were considering
> closing down the computing courses and asking him to
> teach chemistry. It took me a few years to
understand
> the panic I saw in his eyes that day.
>
> Woo

I went to an interview a couple of years ago at
Qinetiq in Malvern (6 years after leaving uni) for a
telecoms/IT job and the first thing the interviewer
said to me was "oh you did astrophysics, thats what I
did my PhD in so lets start with a few questions about
that..." at that moment I knew I was wasting my time.
I wasn't helped by the fact that after failing to
describe the products of hydrogen fusion (lots of
stray sub-atomic particles and photons emited), and
missing out the more obscure eras in the life cycle of
a star, I was so flustered that I struggled to
remember what TCP stands for.

Not that I'm bitter.

chris