[Wolves] Linux and CAD type programs

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 27 20:37:20 GMT 2004

Kevanf1 wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:29:45 +0000, Jono Bacon <jono at jonobacon.org> wrote:
>

>>Kevanf1 wrote:
>>

>>>Unless you are an angler you may not know what I'm looking for, but
>>>here goes.  Is there a program - obviously for Linux - whereby I can
>>>see the relation between the thickness of a material and the amount of
>>>curvature it goes through when under pressure?  Think of a fishing rod
>>>bending.  I've been asked to make one out of split cane.  In order to
>>>do it properly I need to work out the thickness of the cane all along
>>>its length.  With a fishing rod it is not merely a case that it bends
>>>I also have to think about where the bend starts, tip or middle
>>>section.  So I think I am looking for some type of CAD program.  It
>>>must be a graphical output not just mathematical.
>>>
>>>Any ideas?

Kevan,

That sounds hard. You aren't dealing with a tube but with a long, thin
cone made of a material with varying characteristics through it's
section and thickness along it's length. I believe the bend actually
starts at the last point that the hand holding the rod touches but only
becomes significant nearer the tip as the diameter narrows i.e. there is
no such point as 'where the bend starts', so you are aiming for a
characteristic curve. I bet expert rod makers work on heuristics based
on centuries of craft experimentation e.g. "Take a 2-3 year old piece of
bamboo that has grown to a length of 2m in a peat soil..."

One thing might work to your advantage in your quest though; it seems
like similar physics to sailing yacht masts! The forces there will be
distributed along the mast rather than at the tip but I bet it has been
researched more than fishing rods. Good luck.

If you end up having to build the world's first modelling tool for
carbon-fibre racing yacht masts, will you be GPLing it? ;-)

Woo