[Wolves] Another Ubuntu switch

sparkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Tue Nov 30 14:59:02 GMT 2004

fizzy wrote:
>  --- Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have just completed switching my workstation from
>>SuSE 9.1 to Gentoo.
>

> Good stuff Ron, nice to see others seeing the light :)
> Going to rebuild my gentoo laptop, I've learned a lot
> since I first installed and fancy putting my knowledge
> into practice :)

unless you've mined the ore yourself and invented your own polymers you
can't rebuild your laptop and expect top performance ;-)  It also seems
that most gentoo users (at least the loud public ones) need to USE drugs
to control themselves rather than use flags.

I suppose if you had 20 workstations and a bunch of servers you wanted
to run at top speed using really high quality hardware and sharing the
build process gentoo would be worth it but I just can't see how the
trade off in compilation time can be worth it on one machine.

By the time something like KDE is installed a new version is out.
That's why I like apt.  I can get a working binary within 24 hours of
the build server getting the source.  And I know I won't have to give up
a massive chunk of processing power to get it working.\

> fizz
>
> =====

sparkes

--
<davee> "Sparkes, the Pete Best of LugRadio"