[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 2 20:32:15 BST 2004

 --- Simon Burke <simon.burke at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is still a linux server running on the staff
> network, no-one
> uses it though. also their pop3 server is
> linux/unix.

Its still amazes me that as a computer scientist, I've
had no direct contact with a UNIX system of any kind
as part of my degree, apart from telnetting into a
Solaris server to run Oracle. I think that this has
been redressed now for students in the years below
mine as all of the ground floor SCIT [1] PCs dual boot
with SuSE now and there is a first year module using
Linux. I think this is mainly as a result of Peter
Burden's influence.

They also now have an old celeron machine acting as a
telnet gateway running Linux as of the last few
months.

Ad

1) SCIT = School of Computing and IT at Wolves uni

=====
--

http://www.drinky.org.uk