[Wolves] O/T 3G phones - 3 and the Nokia 7600

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Wed Oct 20 09:44:49 BST 2004

MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com wrote:
> 3 - crap network + ridiculous belief that people want walled-garden content
> - are offering 500 mins plus 100 texts for 15 quid a month (after cashback).
> A few sites are offering this deal with the Nokia 7600 plus a free Bluetooth
> headset.
>
> This sounds ideal to me. All I want are minutes are bundled texts
> ... couldn't give a damn about the idiotic notion that is video calling, which
> isn't supported by the 7600 anyway. So, is 3 as terrible as everyone says?

I have a 3 phone.  3 themselves are not so bad but they go through
resellers who IME are.  The network coverage is not anywhere near as bad
as people seem to make it out to be - even where you can't get 3G my
phone just switches to 2.5 or 2.

The company who sold my phone to me are a company called Tulip
Communications - AVOID.  It takes aeons to get through to them and even
when you do get through the callcentre is in Bangalore(so is 3's IIRC,
for that matter, but at least they seem to have A Clue(tm)) and they
really don't seem to know what they are doing.  The insurance I was
given turned out to have 50 quid excess on a 75 quid phone.....

> Is the 7600 a decent phone? Will 3 let me use the 7600's XHTML browser to
> look at sites of my choice, of will they restrict me to their fricking walled-garden?

Probably not.  I haven't been able to with my phone, anyway.  Not that
I've exactly tried that hard.

> The mins, texts and headset are almost too good to turn down. But I don't
> wanna get this deal, just for something with decent hardware, on a decent
> network, to come along later.

I have a 3 phone - on balance I'd say avoid them like the plague.

--
Dan
Bitter?  Me?