[Wolves] Switching people to Linux

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 31 01:08:49 GMT 2004

B wrote:

>>> "Free at the moment" worries me in relation to weaning people off
>>> Microsoft...
>>
>> Targetware, the software will always be free to down-load as far as I
>> can see. To play on line over the 'net is beta test and free, there
>> will be
>> be a fee when it goes final. But to fly on localhost, i.e. your linux
>> box, won't cost...
>
> Barry,

Yes, I understood that but when introducing new people to Free Software
it is nice if you can keep the message as simple as possible:

Linux isn't free as in Outlook - "now buy this Exchange server" or free
as in Internet Explorer (until the web has been converted to proprietary
standards) or as in mortgage interest ( for the first month of the 25
years).

Later on people can learn about licences and services and support
companies and making a contribution but when you just want them to try
it, the argument is much more persuasive if it just plain Free.

Woo