[Wolves] Connecting via VPN and NetBIOS

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Mon Sep 20 00:33:10 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 Sep 2004 14:37, MatthewRevell.3247378 at bloglines.com wrote:
> Okay, I've no idea where to start with this.
>
> I need to access a remote
> network, using Fedora. I have an IP address and I'm told that it uses
> NetBIOS over VPN. I also have a login to use.

There are many ways of implementing VPNs, so its not easy to give concrete
suggestions without knowing more about your setup. How has it been suggested
that you connect to the VPN? Using some sort of client application? If so,
what's it called?

Off the top of my head... if you have been given an IP address then I'd guess
the network may be running NetBIOS over TCP/IP (a.k.a. NBT), so you could use
the kernel's SMBFS support or the client side of samba to connect to remote
network drives. It's not unlikely that the VPN is using IPsec, of which the
Linux implementation is called FreeS/WAN (Free Secure Wide Area Network -
http://www.freeswan.org/).

Googling for "freeswan fedora" shows quite a few pages offering RPMs. There
are quite a few different ways of setting up IPsec VPNs, with
passwords/phrases, certificates, etc, etc, so you'd have to find out more
about what they

This is all guesswork really, but I hope it gets you started in the right
direction.

(There's also a vicious rumour going round that Ron knows all about VPNs under
Linux!!!)

Regards,

James