[Wolves] Netgear FVL328

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 16:14:00 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:39, Chris Ball wrote:
> From: "Ron Wellsted" <ron at wellsted.org.uk>
> "Checking on the specs of the FVL328, it should work through a non-NAT
> router.  give us some more details about your setup and we might be able
> to help."
>
> the Zoom X5 is set up as a nat router, connecting to BT Openworld, it's IP
> address is 192.168.0.3, it currently is just plugged into the switch and the
> computers that want to connect to it have got it set as the gateway.
>
> the new kit FVL328, is currently also connected to the switch (just so i can
> get the web interface) it's got 4 LAN ports, and 1 WAN port (but the wan
> port searches for a modem) NAT is disabled, and it's IP is 192.168.0.97
> (just a random free IP i could think of)
>
> i was thinking that if i plugged the Router into one of the firewalls LAN
> ports and got the firewall to foward all traffic to it, (using it as a DMZ?)
> and then letting the firewall distribute the data throughout the network?
> would this work??
>
> i'm not sure how tho'

In order to setup VPNs it is best to avoid NAT if at all possible as it
REALLY complicates matters.

You need to set up 2 IP addresses on the Netgear, one for the LAN which
is on a different subnet to the Zoom and one for the port which is on
the same subnet as the Zoom.

Try setting up the networks as follows:
Dudley LAN         192.168.0.0/24 GW:192.168.0.3
Dudley Netgear     LAN: 192.168.0.3  WAN: 192.168.1.2  GW: 192.168.1.1
Dudley Zoom        IP: 192.168.1.1/24
Halesowen Zoom     IP: 192.168.2.1/24
Halesowen Netgear  LAN: 192.168.3.3  WAN: 192.168.2.2  GW: 192.168.2.1
Halesowen LAN      192.168.3.0/24

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk