[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Still no sound

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Thu Sep 23 18:20:08 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 18:08, Howard Berry wrote:
> To anyone who can help,
> Some time ago I wrote in asking for help getting useful sound on SuSE 9.
> I didn't really get much info, so I'm trying again.
> The symptoms are- Test sound riff plays OK.
> Both cd players -"CD Player" and KsCD seem to think they are playing
> something but there is no sound.
> I have tried using dev/cdrecorder and dev/cdrom.
> with the former Kscd lists the tracks.But not under CDrom.
> "CD Player" says all tracks are unknown.
> My sound card is Realtek Avance AC97. But as I say, test sound plays.
> I am finding all this really frustrating. I hardly use Windows now
> (except at work). I have moved my web editing and creation over to
> Linux. My graphics to Gimp DTP To Scribus. But I want to listen to CDs
> and Lug Radio (but that's another story!)
> Much obliged.
> Howard

Do the KDE sound play Ok? (Error Notification, etc) If so, this shows
the sound card is configured correctly.  Do you have an audio cable
joining your CD drive to the sound card/motherboard?  If not, you will
either have to fit one or configure the cd players for digital audio
extraction.

The track listing issue is probably due to the cddb settings, check the
configuration settings under KsCD and copy these to "CD Player".

HTH

--
Ron Wellsted
http://www.wellsted.org.uk