[Wolves] Digikam was If its broke don't fix it

Kevan kevanf1 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 14:21:53 BST 2004

 --- Andy Wootton <andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Mo Awkati wrote:

> >>i Kevan
> >>
> >>I use Fujifilm Finepix S5000. Digikam ships with
> >>SUSE,
> >>if not already installed install it from YAST,
> from
> >>its menu tell it what your camera is and away you
> >>go.
> >>PS: SUSE detects the camera as a mass storage
> >>device,
> >>and may take a minute or two to get the icon on
> the
> >>desktop.
> >>
> >>Good luck
> >>
> >>Mo
> >>

> Kevan,
>
> I'd go for it here. Mo's suggestion is right for
> something good but at
> the cheap and crappy end of the market it can be far
> more fun(?) What
> are you trying to get working?
>
> Woo

Weeeeeeell..... Unfortunately it aint a decent Fuji
digcam.  It's a brand called Concord.  Very good
results, in fact better than my mates Canon.  Digikam
does support a couple of Concord cameras and I did
initially try those.  SuSE did indeed find the camera
but it couldn't read it.  I contacted the
manufacturers and fairly predictably couldnt help
because they don't support Linux.  I did send them a
reply e-mail telling them to get their finger out and
sort out Linux support by the way.  Having read a
couple of very good websites dedicated to digtal
camera and USB connectivity with Linux I am still
somewhat puzzled.  I think the problem stems from the
formatting of the drive.  It is formatted as FAT 32.
It will not format properly in native camera mode.
Which reminds me, I must ask the manufacturers about
that.  This at first didn't bother me as I was all
Microsoft at the time and it was/is found ok in Win2k.
 I am going to try reformatting in the meantime as FAT
and see what happens.

I shall report back with my findings :-)

Kevan