[Wolves] Bit Torrent is rubbish

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 14:30:29 BST 2005

On Friday 01 April 2005 13:48, Alan Pope wrote:

> The term is "leeching".

And what an apt word that is

> Of course it does. If you were downloading something legitimate like
> Ubuntu Warty or Hoary preview you'd find bazillions of people
> downloading it, so it's be quicker.

No, no, no. I'm not stupid I've used Kazaa and one or two others the principle
is the same regardless of OS or Program used.

The first poor sap who sticks the file or ISO in the shared folder gets hooked
into once two, three, four billion have it, and if they leave it in their
folder, others can get it too.

The speed comes from two areas;
1. Availability i.e. lots of shared folders have it.
2. Upload speed.

Theres no magic Bit Torrent fairy

> The whole point of bit torrent is not just that selfish old *you* can
> get the file quickly, but that there doesn't need to be a mass of
> infrastructure in place to serve up those files (lots of rsynced FTP
> servers for example). You just need a trackers, a torrent and
> hopefully a bunch of other people who want the same file.

Yep I agree with you, up to a point, but if people are getting the file/iso
then moving it to another directory, which kills any chance of upload or are
limiting the upload rate your stuffed!

> Well, given that in your first mail you never said what you were
> downloading I could only make assumptions, furthermore I refer you to
> my previous answer with regards to infrastructure and selfishness.

Ah you spotted my cunning plan, I deliberately didn't say what I was getting
because I knew the old chestnut of popularity was gonna come out as a
defence.

> So FTP it then? What's the problem? If you want a file quickly, get it
> by the fastest possible method. Nobody ever said that bit torrent was
> always the fastet way to get every file, it's just ONE way. HTTP is
> another, FTP is another, CD from a shop is another. YOU choose which
> is most appropriate for YOUR application. If bit torrent on this
> occasion isn't, fine, just don't bitch like a weenie about it because
> you don't know how it works and what's the best way to use it.

Of course I know how it works in fact this is a good way of showing what most
of these peer to peer connections are really about.

They're for porn, stolen software and generally shady stuff the fact that some
legitimate stuff is available is irrelevant.

But your right if it was not for the fact that I'm eating at the pig trough
and getting (hopefully) something that I shouldn't then I would have bought
it or FTP'd it.

"Bitch like a weenie" Oh dear, if you think this is bitching you ain't seen
nothing yet.

> You have a double-whammy of loss then!

Not really I rent my head out to Heathrow as an alternate landing strip, its
just a bugger driving home in the dark as on comming cars get blinded by
their headlights bouncing off my head :-)

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.
peter at cannon-linux.co.uk