[Wolves] FedoraForum

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 22:14:55 BST 2005

Evening All

Its that time again, Friday night bear in hand, wife at work and the kids in
bed.

I've checked out the new support forum for Fedora and I have to say I'm
impressed so much so that I've rejoined. Most of you clever clogs will know
the program/application/mailing list thingy they are using, I don't know what
it is/called.

Anyway the list is now moderated which is a good thing over the last six
months it had degenerated into constant slanging matches the reasons for
which, IMHO are;

1. The old guard feeling threatened by the new kids on the block.
2. No one to say "Stop this or your off" (which actually is impossible to
impose as you just rejoin under another name/email address).
3. Lots of beginners (I still cant stand 'Newbie') who haven't yet gained the
etiquette skills, hence the old guard going for the kill.

Back to the review;

I like the fact that you can search it on-line both the archives and the
current mails I also like the ability to look up who is a member, so long as
they fill out the profile feature you are able to gauge their experience and
relevance (I know people lie).

You can see how many members and guests are currently on line and all sorts of
other info. Its all in one place.

There are four or five lists (Forgotten the actual figure) so you can join
one, two or the lot and keep upto-date with them all in one place. I have
chosen not to receive mails, which is brilliant as before, every morning, my
in-box got flooded when I switched on, for about 5 minutes, I can now view
all posts 'on-line' a little bit like Gmail I suppose. (anyone want one? I'm
up to 50 invites at the moment) You can upload pictures of yourself (They all
remind me of Jono! Heavy metal bods :-P) and you can have an avatar (Yep I've
got one, Mr Turpin now has a face) you can also give your Yahoo, MSN blah
blah blah messenger/chat details so people can abuse you person to person.

All this stuff is in a colum next to your post so theres no nipping off to
another section or website to find out. Theres an announcement section, so
FC4 is well represented/documented with screenshots etc.

Check it out guys, it might be Redhat, it might be corporate, but its still
bloody good (Fedora I'm sorry I cheated on you! Do you forgive me?)

www.fedoraforum.org

--
Regards
Peter Cannon