[Wolves] Peter watch out :-))))

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 15:32:10 BST 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 1:06 PM, Dick Turpin <highwayman.turpin at gmail.com> wrote:

>=20
> I was gonna just ignore this (maybe I should) but having now read the
> report I cant help myself.
>=20
> http://www.contractoruk.com/news/002044.html
>=20
> An American internet spammer who amassed $24 million (=A312.7m) from
> e-mails peddling pornography, fake products and home-working schemes
> has been handed down a nine-year jail sentence.
>=20
> -------<Insert>------
> You'll notice this guys stuff was predominantly Porn (although in this
> report it only gets a cursory reference) it would seem that he prayed
> on peoples desire for things that most people would not readily admit
> to.
> -------<End>------
>=20
> Jeremy Jaynes, 30, sent over 10 million pieces of spam per day from
> his home in North Carolina, making him one of the most prolific
> spammers in the world, according to industry watchdog, SpamHaus.
>=20
> The millionaire, who is married, is estimated to have received
> tens of thousands AOL accounts from servers based in Virginia.
>=20
> -------<Insert>------
> So he was getting responses which means it was working.
> -------<End>------
>=20
> As a result, Jaynes received between 10,000 and 17,000 credit card
> orders a month =96averaging $40 each, prompting prosecutors to brand him
> "the modern-day-snake-oil salesman."
>=20
> But despite the scale of his crime, Judge Thomas Horne has agreed to
> postpone his nine-year sentence under new legislation until the date
> of Jaynes' appeal.
>=20
> Judge Horne also pointed out that because the anti-spam law is new it
> raises constitutional questions, including the right of state to
> regulate interstate commerce.
>=20
> -------<Insert>------
> Ah, so the Law isn't there yet then?
> -------<End>------
>=20
> Prosecutors however insisted that under Virginia law Jaynes was
> guilty, saying he broke legislation that prohibits marketers from
> sending more than a certain amount of spam within a time-frame, while
> he also used a fake e-mail address to cover his tracks.
>=20
> -------<Insert>------
> Hm, so it's OK to send Email Marketing so long as it's a certain
> amount over an unspecified time scale!!!
> -------<End>------
>=20
> Jaynes has since been released from court on bail of $1m, though
> prosecutors and computer users are rejoicing that he is electronically
> tagged, and cannot leave his home town of Raleigh.
>=20
> [...]
For sending out that sort of spam - porn included - he deserves more
than 9 years.  Not everybody wants or desires porn.  My 14 year old
daughter, as an example, certainly doesn't.  But what this guy was
doing, as have and are doing many others is indiscriminate mailing of
undesirable material.  That's what I have against spam.

:-)

--=20
Take care.
Kevan Farmer