[Wolves] Re: Wolves Digest, Vol 83, Issue 8

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:56:15 BST 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 21:10, roundyz wrote:

> > LPIC
>
> How much does that cost? Certification is expensive I hear.....

If you go down the Red Hat path its about £1500.00 they're a bit strict in
respect of you need to attend the course first which is 5 days residential.

Personally I think thats outrageously over priced for the most basic of
certificates even my alter ego Dick Turpin wouldn't charge that ;-)

The LPI is much cheaper in respect you can just take the exam.
Prices vary, Dave Goodwin and I had a chat about it I think he paid £20.00 at
one of the Expo's. The general prices I've seen are around £50.00 you can of
course do a weeks course then take the exam the prices are around £1200.00
there are a couple of places in Birmingham offering courses and test.

As Dave pointed out the problem is Red Hat is more hands-on so some employers
may prefer that type of accreditation to the LPI which is purely question and
answer however the LPI is general Linux based whereas Red Hat is, well, Red
Hat only. so its a toss up, with LPI you should in theory be able to work on
any Linux OS while with Red Hat your only RH qualified. I know that in the
real world most people can work on most if not all distributions but on paper
(supposedly) your qualified to work on one (RH) or most (LPI).

Because I'm a very fair salesman I'm very poor so I'm trying to do it on the
cheap I have to say its a bit of an eye opener as I learnt very fast I didn't
know as much as I thought I did.

--

Regards,
Peter Cannon.