[Wolves] Re: Introducing myself

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 21:19:46 BST 2005

Larry Tomkins wrote:

>Hello
>There's no such thing as a "newbie"(I hate that
>expression, it summons up a image of inferiority) it
>varying degrees of experience :o)

Free software is the the only fully-functional meritocracy I've ever
seen, so someone has to be inferior.
I'm happy to admit that in many areas it's me. Why is that a bad thing
as long as I believe I can learn to get better? I just wish I could
replace some of the defective memory.

I'm aware that some people use the term in a negative way but many
don't. Surely words mean whatever our society chooses to believe them to
mean.

>>--- "Kelly, Martin" <Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>It seems that you guys are centering your musical
>>interests around white rock/punk and derivatives.

Maybe, but there's a lot around the edges. The best gig I've seen this
year was a black, 80ish  year-old  blues guitarist called T-Model Ford
who grew up on a cotton plantation in the Mississippi Delta. 'New'
doesn't always mean 'young' to me. Stefan Grappelli was another
octogenarian who'd be in my all-time top 10. We're mere whipper-snappers
by comparison :-)

Woo