[Wolves] re; introducing myself.

Kelly, Martin Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 18:22:57 BST 2005

Larry Tomkins wrote:

>Hello
>There's no such thing as a "newbie"(I hate that
>expression, it summons up a image of inferiority) it
>varying degrees of experience :o)

Woo wrote
Free software is the the only fully-functional meritocracy I've ever
seen, so someone has to be inferior.
I'm happy to admit that in many areas it's me. Why is that a bad thing
as long as I believe I can learn to get better? I just wish I could
replace some of the defective memory.

I'm aware that some people use the term in a negative way but many
don't. Surely words mean whatever our society chooses to believe them to
mean.

Me, I like being called a newbie, It's a bit like being a virgin.  Anything with "New" in it has got to be good ( and there ain't much left on me that you could say that about).

>>--- "Kelly, Martin" <Martinkelly at wlv.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>It seems that you guys are centering your musical
>>interests around white rock/punk and derivatives.

Woo wrote
Maybe, but there's a lot around the edges. The best gig I've seen this
year was a black, 80ish  year-old  blues guitarist called T-Model Ford
who grew up on a cotton plantation in the Mississippi Delta. 'New'
doesn't always mean 'young' to me. Stefan Grappelli was another
octogenarian who'd be in my all-time top 10. We're mere whipper-snappers
by comparison :-)

Woo

Fair play to you sir,  I was just thinking the conversations seem to be centering around a particular idiom, and it's a big wide musical world out there,  You're talking to the bloke who stopped a Deep Purple concert at birmingham town hall because I was hanging off one of windows at the back of the gods to get a better view ( that's what my friends tell me anyway).
Ray Charles said something like " I don't play blues music I don't play jazz music, i don't play country music, I just play music. ( probably got the quote a bit wrong, but you get the picture). As you mentioned grappelli, recently when my Niece was worrying about playing her guitar correctly getting the cord shapes right and using the correct fingering, as an encouragement,I told her about Django Reinhardt, who played with grappelli, who could play a mean jazz lick with the best of them, but only had two fingers on his left hand, due to injuries he sustained in a fire in his gypsy caravan.
Linux can be a bit like that, you can struggle with it, but you know something good can come out of it if you persevere.
Mart.