[Wolves] Your Feedback Please ! :) - Linux on my work laptop.

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 09:38:25 BST 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 21:18, David Goodwin wrote:

> > Some weeks ago, one of teachers at the school where I work, came to me to
> > say that "I can't find Windows on my laptop".  So I fires it up, and up
> > comes XP. "There you go, that's Windows".  "No it's not", says the
> > teacher, "I want to do some word processing, and I can't".  "Ahhh", says
> > I, "You want either a word processor, or preferably an office suite, and
> > XP doesn't come with that".  "Oh", says teacher, "What can I do?"  "Well,
> > either spend more money and buy MS/Office or we can install Open Office
> > for free".  "I'll go and have a think", says teacher and AFAIK he's still
> > thinking about it.

Lol, and thats a supposed teacher! theres no hope really, is there?

If I had a pound for everyone who said that I'd be a millionaire, I especially
like you're last bit "He's still thinking about it" I quoted a guy last week
for a dual screen solution really cheap the quote consisted of three lines of
text;

"I'll just need to read through the quote, What! I'm still waiting.

> Which illustrates quite well how people think that because it's free
> it's obviously not as good....

No it doesn't, it illustrates that users, regardless of OS, know nothing about
what they are using and cant be arsed to find out, then think, when you tell
them they need another piece of software, you're trying to rip them off.

> Perhaps a better way of putting it would be :
>
> I can give you OpenOffice now, but if you want MSOffice you'll need to
> fill in XYZ forms and wait a week or so.... ;)

So we have a guy who doesn't understand what software is on his laptop, he
knows Windows or at least he has heard of it and we muddy the water even
further by giving him something hes never heard of and will be totally at sea
with seeing as he is obviously used to using Microsoft Office.

Full marks for Open Source promotion though.

Why don't you offer him Ability Office I have some demo disks if anyone wants
one its almost a carbon copy of Microsoft Office but costs (Trade);
Ability Office Pro OEM £4.45 you're probably looking at £6-£8 retail.

--
Regards
Peter Cannon

"There is every excuse for not knowing,