[Wolves] Kat Ideas for the moodle

David Morley davmor2 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 11:17:21 BST 2005

Being on linux now for nearly a year there are to me three base levels for
learning.

1. Basic which could be a mini history (very mini don't bore people like
some.)  Touch on the two main desktops and differences (kde and gnome).
Link to a distro list site rather than cluttering up your space.  Discribe
which distro your using for similarities sake, that way when I copy whats on
the site it looks the same on my system.  Setting up a firewall and virus
scanner and other basic stuff that is needed for good housekeeping and
security.  (this section I mostly know apart from the firewall and
viruschecker).

2.  Intermediate which is pretty much where I am now, where the advanced
stuff is too advanced and the basic is too basic.  Here is where you could
start with the learn basic programing and the different languages etc.  Also
you could go into more depth on basics ie what ports do what how to renumber
ports so they are more secure etc.  Different editors and their strengths
and weaknesses.  Basic common Cli commands don't confuse the beginners with
it let people from a windows enviroment get used to point an click linux
first.(Cli might be better but to an ex windows user it is a step
backwards.)

3.  Advanced which could be writing full blown programs more on how to use
the different languages and their differences.  Layout and creation of
websites using the variuos tools available from the easy editors
(Openoffice/nvu) to the more advanced ones.  At which point anything could
be added at this level because you already have the fundementals.