[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Stuart Langridge stuart.langridge at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 11:03:20 BST 2005

> > The historic problem with Fridays and Saturdays is that people do
> > Other Stuff on those days, like go out with their real friends :-) If
> > we did the LUG then then more people wouldn't come, because they're
> > away for the weekend or busy on those nights in the pub or whatever.
>
> Heres a thought, why not meet once a month rather than every fortnight I'm
> sure everyone can fit a Saturday in once a month? And why not in the
> afternoon? most of us have jobs so staying out mid week is not on when you
> have a job to keep.

Then we have fewer LUG meetings! Why is that a good idea? :(

> Is there a community centre in Wolverhampton? I bet it could be hired/used for
> a few hours cheaply? seeing as most people chuck a tenner in the pot at the
> Standard we could all put a couple of quid in which might cover hire and
> electricity that way people could bring equipment along.

I don't see how this alters the issue. Venue isn't really the point;
how is it more easy to get to a community centre on a Wednesday than
it is to get to a curry house? The major problem with a community
centre is that there's no way of having something to eat, as has been
discussed at LUG meetings passim.

> Monday
> Tuesday
> Saturday
> Sunday
>
> Are all good for me but we've been down this path before! theres a one off "OK
> lets meet on a Monday", four people turn up and thats it it gets killed off
> the Wednesdayites rub their hands with glee and the same old faces turn up to
> the fortnightly meet.
>
> Its the older members who can make the changes as they tend to set the pace
> seeing as they know each other really well.

Ahem.

I am getting a mite tired of these not-so-subtle inner-circle
accusations. I have no intention whatsoever of not turning up to a
Monday meet just to spike the plans of non-Wednesdayites. I think it's
a crying shame that people can't make it on a Wednesday; I can think
of at least Rob Annable and Helen who have said that there's no way
that they can make a Wednesday meet, and I am quite happy to move the
day. What I, personally, would not be happy with is the day randomly
moving around. If we want to move to another day, then move to one
specific other day and stick with that. Every time this discussion has
come up, however, it turns out that Wednesday works out to be the best
day for the most people; if that has changed then let's look at it
again, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's changed.

> Wolverhampton is a bit of a pain for me too but then again it is the
> Wolves-LUG so you cant expect meetings in Brownhills.

Yep. It has been pointed out to me repeatedly that I am welcome to set
up a Stourbridge LUG and be the only person there. ;-)

Aq.