[Wolves] Revitalising the LUG

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 12:58:39 BST 2005

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 12:13, Stuart Langridge wrote:

> Doesn't solve the problem that people do other stuff at weekends,
> though, which is a generic problem with Friday and Saturday...

Fair comment, but by the same token people have commitments Wednesday and I
stress again most (not all) have work to go to Thursday morning I for one
have been to a Wednesday meet had one or two drinks too many and turned up
for work the next day a bit worse for wear. Its not good.

> "the Wednesdayites rub their hands with glee"
> "the same old faces turn up to the fortnightly meet"
> "Its the older members who can make the changes as they tend to set the
> pace"

You're paranoid arnt you?

> "the Wednesdayites rub their hands with glee"

Fair enough could have been worded better but admit it there are Wednesday
goers who have stated if its moved to another night they wont attend again
the mails are somewhere in the archives.

But I hold my hand up it could be read that way I suppose.

> "the same old faces turn up to the fortnightly meet"

Well its true isn't it? going back to the start of this marathon thread I'm
still under the impression the idea is to expand, membership, participation
and profile.

I cant see how changing index.php or index.html is going to address
participation.

Thats the only bit I'm interested in I couldn't give a stuff about wiki's they
bore me anyway.

> "Its the older members who can make the changes as they tend to set the
> pace"

Well I'm not in a position to make any changes to Wolves-LUG am I? I think
really the above paragraph is just stating the obvious.

> That sounds to me like an accusation that newer, purer, more decent
> members have tried to make changes but the old guard are stopping them
> from making the LUG better. That's an Inner Circle accusation.

Na, Inner Circles discuss things off list by mailing each other direct :p

> Discussion is fine. I misread your earlier mail, because I didn't
> realise that the paragraph about Saturdays and the paragraph about the
> community centre were talking about the same thing just because they
> were next to one another. What I don't understand is what new thing
> you've brought to the discussion here; we have talked extensively in
> the past about moving the LUG to a different night or moving it to the
> weekend, and that's always been dismissed by the consensus. Possibly
> you think that things have changed, that the make-up of the LUG is
> different, that members' circumstances have changed and therefore a
> different answer would come up; great. But at the moment it looks like
> the same arguments which have come up before and been dismissed
> before.
>
> Jono's original mail was about revitalising the LUG; is moving to a
> different location or a different night going to do that? Or will we
> have very similar kinds of LUG meetings but with a slightly different
> cast of people? Maybe that would be enough: inject some new blood,
> annoy some different people because now they can't make it and
> un-annoy those who can't make it right now. I'm not clear that it will
> significantly change things, though; the discussion, I felt, was wider
> than just "which night should the LUG be on?" and "should it be in a
> curry house or not?"

Okey Kokey I've read the above paragraph twice now to make sure I understand
and Ive come to a conclusion.

Just change the Website front page.

What benefit that gives is beyond me other than somebody revisiting the site
and saying "Oh they've changed the home page"

Its no skin off my nose I don't get to go to meetings anyway and I don't look
at the website much.

I'm still confused I'm talking about physical activity and you keep pulling us
back to changing the website.

I would have thought I was the type of member you are targeting you know get
more involved to get more out of the experience of being a Wolves-LUG member

I'm not moaning or complaing I'm just disappointed at another missed
opportunity

--
Regards
Peter Cannon